General Business Start-up Information

This checklist is the general information needed to set up a new business.  There may be additional requirements needed based on the type of business.  For more detailed assistance please review the Colorado Business Resource Book.   The Town of Parker Economic Development department is providing this page for informational purposes only and can not answer any questions about various agency requirements or processes.

Incorporate a Business

Before making a decision about the appropriate legal entity please seek professional assistance prior to filing papers of incorporation, limited partnership or a limited liability company.

  • Step 1: Go to
  • Step 2:  Under Search & File, select "File a business document",  then select "File a form to create a NEW record".
  • Step 3: Select the appropriate type of legal structure you are looking to file. 

Register Trade Name of your Business

Registering a Trade Name in Colorado can only be done online at the Secretary of State's website.

  • Step 1; Go to
  • Step 2:  Under Search & File, select "File a business document",  then select "File a form to create a NEW record".
  • Step 3:  Under the LLCs, Corporations & Trade Names header select "Trade name"


Businesses that sell products to the end users are required to collect sales tax.  The total amount of sales tax to be collected includes Colorado State Sales tax, plus all applicable city, county and special district sales taxes. 

Please visit the Town of Parker's Sales and Use Tax Rates for additional information.

Town of Parker Business License and Town Sales Tax Application

Fill out the Town of Parker Business and Tax Application and required supplemental documents.

State Sales Tax

A sales tax license is proof that a business is properly registered with the Colorado Department of Revenue.  If your business will be selling, renting or leasing tangible personal property, you must obtain a license from the Colorado Department of Revenue.

Sales Tax Workshops

The Colorado Department of Revenue offers free classes to help small business owners property set up taxes for their business.  To see a list of upcoming classes and register to attend visit:

Douglas County Personal Property Tax

In addition to real property valuations, the Douglas County Assessor is required by Colorado State Statutes to value all business personal property for taxation purposes.  Business personal property includes machinery, equipment and leasehold improvements specific to business purposes.   

Visit the Douglas County Assessor's Business Personal Property page for information and filing requirements.

Federal Income Tax

The Internal Revenue Services offers an A-Z index for Businesses to assist entrepreneurs with setting-up, filing, and paying their business taxes.

Employer Information

Employers are responsible for withholding State and Federal Income Tax and Social Security/Medicare taxes from their employees' wage.  Employers also pay an equal share of the Social Security/Medicare taxes.

State Wage Withholding

To open a state wage withholding account obtain the forms from the Colorado Department of Revenue website.

Federal Wage Withholding

To open a federal wage withholding account complete the federal form for your employer identification number (EIN).  The Federal EIN is used to set up your federal income tax withholding and social security withholding through the IRS. 

Unemployment Insurance

Employers are also required to pay both state and federal unemployment insurance taxes on their employees. 

Workers' Compensation Insurance

As an employer, you are required by law to provide workers' compensation insurance for all of your employees.  You can obtain workers' compensation insurance from an independent insurance agent or Pinnacol Assurance.

Pinnacol is not a state agency but operates as a quasi independent nonprofit insurance company established by state law to sell worker's compensation insurance.

For information regarding employer responsibilities under workers' compensation contact:

Division of Workers' Compensation
Colorado Department of Labor
633 17th Street, Suite 400
Denver, CO 80202
Phone 303.818.8700